Surviving The Super Bowl!
My favorite thing to do in the fall in winter is relax on the couch watching football! I am looking forward to watching Super Bowl 51 on Sunday Feb 5th.
Enjoy Parties without Sabotaging Your Results
If you are like most individuals right now, this is the time of year when you are focused on your health and fitness goals. You may have a vacation coming up, have set an intention that in 2017 you are going to put yourself first, or have a long-term goal to have the body and health that you want and deserve.
And then an event comes along like the Super Bowl… and you find yourself heading to a party or hosting guests. Parties and events are what can send us back to our old habits and move us away from our goals and desires.
Let’s face it, there is always a holiday, birthday, party, event, or social gathering that is happening. I challenge you to count in a month how many of these things are on your calendar. If you are going to be successful in achieving your health and fitness goals you MUST learn to navigate and handle these situations.
Don’t get me wrong, I am NOT saying that you need to be 100% consistent with clean eating at all times to achieve your goals. However, one of the MOST IMPORTANT things you can do to not sabotage all of your hard work and success to is pick and choose your indulgences. Ask yourself, “Is eating _________ worth it to me right now?” “Am I going to enjoy __________ without feeling guilty or wishing I hadn’t indulged because it just tasted ok?”
For me, going to a Super Bowl party and indulging in pizza that was ordered in from the local pizza place is VERY different from eating slice of New York style pizza when visiting Justin’s parents in New York. If you are going to eat a food that is “less healthy” and moves you further away from your goals then don’t have any guilt doing it.
Tips to Survive the Super Bowl and keep moving closer to your goals:
· Skip the alcohol. The extra calories and sugar are not going to do your metabolism any favors. If you want to have a drink in your hand pour some kombucha or sparkling water in a wine glass.
· Focus on protein and fat first, carbohydrates second. If you are headed to a Super Bowl party choose the foods that are high in protein and fat first then choose “smart carbs” like vegetables and fruits. Leave the processed high sugar carbs alone.
· Eat before you go. If you are following a more strict nutrition plan such as the 21-Day Detox right now you may just want to eat before you head out to the party. While at the party you can focus on the people, the game, and the great commercials!
· Get in a quick workout to fire up your metabolism. Perform a HIIT workout before heading out or before your guests arrive.
· Get your mind right. Choose to focus on the social connection, the people you are surrounded by, and what you enjoy about an event like the Super Bowl rather than letting food control your experience.
· Visualize your experience. Before an event or gathering take a few minutes to visualize the experience you want to have. Picture yourself in the situation, how do you feel? Most successful athletes visualize their performance in big games setting them up for success.
Game Day Recipes
To prepare for the “BIG GAME” here are some grain-free, Paleo and detox friendly recipes. I haven’t quite figured out our menu for the Super Bowl yet but you can be sure it will be detox friendly and will include at least one of these recipes.